Re: gnome panel fonts on startup

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 01:55:49 -0400, songbird wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> What VGA driver are you using? Although you firstly thought there is no
>> relation between this and your UI problems, true is that there can be
>> :-) (intel cards use to work smoothly with gnome-shell while ati/nvidia
>> and the closed source drivers are more problematic, specially for
>> nvidia), so if you have the chance and aren't afraid of messing up your
>> system you can try to "swap" the current VGA driver (meaning, if using
>> open source drivers load the closed one or viceversa).
>
>   the xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.18.0-2   trying to switch
> to intel site downloaded version.  too old...  skip for now.

The package seems up-to-date.

>>>   if i knew how to automatically include these
>>> steps in the desktop startup i could try that, but i'm not a gnome
>>> wizard.
>>
>> I can't imagine a bypass for this, but you can open a bug report so the
>> issue can be closely -and properly- tracked.
>
>   no bug is worth being filed for a cosmetic
> item like this.

You think?

Not seeing the whole text of the menu items does not seem to be a
"cosmetic" problem. Visual impaired people can have lot of difficulties
to click on the right item...

> it mostly works.  looking at bug tracker for both
> debian and gnome site looks like they are swamped with reports.  sending
> bug upstream to be ignored makes more work for everyone.

You don't have to expect a solution in one day but just reporting what
you are getting. Let devels to categorize the priority of the problem, if
they consider it's irrelevenat or something wrong at your side, they'll
tell.

> if i get a patch or fix then i can at least then file something useful
> for others who might have similar problem to find.

Before you delevop a patch you'll have first to find out where is the
problem (intel xorg driver, gnome-shell, mutter-clutter...) :-)

>   was hoping someone who was familiar with gnome
> internals could point me to code and i think by what you've said i may
> figure something out.  i'm finding places to alter and test the result
> as soon as i can get the build environment set up. i've gone too far
> ahead for the moment.
>
>   thank you for your replies,

You can also ask for feedback at debian gnome devel mailing list (debian-
gtk-gnome), most of the developers/packagers read/post there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón