Re: gnome panel fonts on startup

Camaleón wrote:
>songbird wrote:
>> Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> What VGA driver are you using? Although you firstly thought there is no
>>> relation between this and your UI problems, true is that there can be
>>> :-) (intel cards use to work smoothly with gnome-shell while ati/nvidia
>>> and the closed source drivers are more problematic, specially for
>>> nvidia), so if you have the chance and aren't afraid of messing up your
>>> system you can try to "swap" the current VGA driver (meaning, if using
>>> open source drivers load the closed one or viceversa).
>>
>>   the xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.18.0-2   trying to switch
>> to intel site downloaded version.  too old...  skip for now.
>
> The package seems up-to-date.

  *nods*

  today there are changes in the sid/testing
repositories for gnome-panel and a few other
things.  i'm grabbing those updates now and
hoping this will fix it.  we'll see.  i'm
going to fall asleep soon.

>>> I can't imagine a bypass for this, but you can open a bug report so the
>>> issue can be closely -and properly- tracked.
>>
>>   no bug is worth being filed for a cosmetic
>> item like this.
>
> You think?
>
> Not seeing the whole text of the menu items does not seem to be a
> "cosmetic" problem. Visual impaired people can have lot of difficulties
> to click on the right item...

  i would not encourage anyone with that sort of
trouble to use testing or sid unless they have
someone else around to get them out of jams that
can happen.

>> it mostly works.  looking at bug tracker for both
>> debian and gnome site looks like they are swamped with reports.  sending
>> bug upstream to be ignored makes more work for everyone.
>
> You don't have to expect a solution in one day but just reporting what
> you are getting. Let devels to categorize the priority of the problem, if
> they consider it's irrelevenat or something wrong at your side, they'll
> tell.

  if it is graphics driver problem i expect
no changes unless i find the specific place
and can propose a patch.  this is an old machine
and the code isn't being worked on actively any
longer.

>> if i get a patch or fix then i can at least then file something useful
>> for others who might have similar problem to find.
>
> Before you delevop a patch you'll have first to find out where is the
> problem (intel xorg driver, gnome-shell, mutter-clutter...) :-)

  yes, the joy of learning.  i'm having a lot of
fun lately.  puzzles for rainy days.  if these
updates for gnome-panel don't work then i will
take another look at the problem in a day or two.

  trying to wrap up other another project first.

>>   was hoping someone who was familiar with gnome
>> internals could point me to code and i think by what you've said i may
>> figure something out.  i'm finding places to alter and test the result
>> as soon as i can get the build environment set up. i've gone too far
>> ahead for the moment.
>>
>>   thank you for your replies,
>
> You can also ask for feedback at debian gnome devel mailing list (debian-
> gtk-gnome), most of the developers/packagers read/post there.

  eventually i may, yet i doubt this is a problem
with debian packaging.

  songbird