Re: fsck forced when using /sbin/shutdown

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 20:54:46 +0200, Steven Post wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 17:31 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> And is it true that there were errors? What does the "fsck" log say?
>
> I found no further clue in /var/log/fsck/checkfs, here is the complete
> output:
(...)
> /dev/sdc1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
> /dev/sdc1: 398799/38772736 files (3.9% non-contiguous), 112892386/155062264 blocks

Mmm, the file system on that partition had errors, the fsck was right.

> I can see the fsck making progress and after it reaches 100% the system
> just continues to boot.
>
> sde1 in this case is /boot on the SSD, sdc1 is /home on the HDD. The lvm
> volume I hadn't mentioned are different hard drives, those don't cause
> any problems and were present in the same configuration on the previous
> install.

"/dev/sdc1" is the partition with data inconsistency, what we have to find
out is why it's left in such state. Another possibility, should you have the
chance, could be backup the full partition, reformat it and start over. Being
just your /home this won't present any difficulty.

>> I wonder what difference can be in shutting down from GNOME and doing
>> it from the command line, mmm... >:-?
>>

> Is is perhaps possible that Gnome is writing out some config files in my
> home directory during shutdown and the system cuts power prematurely? I
> also noticed a message saying the device from / is busy during the
> shutdown sequence, but never /home, while the root filesystem doesn't
> need the check.

(...)

Yes, that was indeed the aim of my "dumb" suggestion :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón