Re: Grub-install problems was Re: terminal prompts

On 08/04/2012 17:42, Frank McCormick wrote:

That worked...but I caused another problem.
I still didn't like Mepis, so I booted into Debian Sid and forgetting
Grub had been last installed by Mepis, formatted the partition. Well you
know what happened. Next time I booted I ended up at the Grub rescue
prompt! No problem I thought, I'll just load up my SystemRescue CD and
fix it. No way! I mounted sda2, and tried to ChRoot into it. I
couldn't...I kept getting an error message "unable to run /bin/zsh" To
make a very long story short, I tried several other live cd's but none
were of any help, until I got to the Ubuntu LXDE live install. I picked
the rescue mode, told it to install grub on /dev/sda2 and it did. An
update Grub fixed the cfg file and we're back in business. I still don't
understand why SystemRescue could not allow me to chroot ??

You don't have sysrescuecd default shell (zsh) installed on the target system. When chrooting you need to call /bin/bash or dash or whatever shell is installed on the target system.
HIH