Re: Re: Bonded network: "No route to host" between slaves

 To clarify what i want: I want to setup the connection so that server is able to "speak" to both desktops (and vice versa) AND the desktops should be able to "speak" with each other.

You may be right that it is a bridge i need, i'm not that experienced in setting up networks. I will try the bridge suggestion as soon as i wake up tomorrow (server is not allowed external SSH yet and i don't have the server at home).

I have a question though: The server is connected to the internet via eth0 (it gets IP from external DHCP server), will i be able to connect to the br0 from the eth0? (br0 is going to consist of eth1 and eth2) interfaces will then look:

iface eth1 inet manual
iface eth2 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
    bridge_ports eth1 eth2
    address 10.1.1.1
    broadcast 10.1.1.255
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 10.1.1.1
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
    bridge_maxwait 0

Is it possible to bridge with a third NIC (eth3)? I'm just asking because i had planned to connect a third computer to the server.

thanks,

Seyyed Mohtadin Hashemi wrote:
> I have a problem that is driving me crazy. I have setup a micro cluster
> with different programs that can interact with each other, the setup is as
> follows:
>
> <server>--bond0 (eth1)-->desktop1 (IP:10.1.1.200)
> |
> bond0 (eth2)
> desktop2 (IP:10.1.1.190)

I may be wrong here but isn't what you want bridging not bonding? It
seems that way to me. You are wanting to bridge two networks
together. Bonding is when you share bandwidth between two network
routes enabling either to be offline and communication still proceed.
Bonding is used for performance, redundancy and high availability but
uses redundant routes. You don't have redundant routes here.

> bond0 consist of eth1 and eth2 connected with following config:
> allow-hotplug bond0
> iface bond0 inet static
> address 10.1.1.1
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> network 10.1.1.0
> broadcast 10.1.1.255
> slaves eth1 eth2
> bond-mode broadcast
> bond-miimon 100
> bond-downdelay 200
> bond-updelay 200
>
> <server> has no problem connecting to both desktops, and vice versa, both
> there i can not get a connection between the two desktops (iptables has
> been disabled). I can't even ping from one desktop to the other, gives
> error "Destination Host Unreachable" (ping works fine when i ping from
> desktop to the server).

Right. You want bridging, not bonding. At least that is what I think
you want from reading the above description. I am going to proceed
with a suggestion based upon that assumption.

Instead of the above try this configuration:

iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
address 10.1.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_maxwait 0

You may need to install bridge-utils first to get the tools:

# apt-get install bridge-utils

Bob