Grub-install problems was Re: terminal prompts

On 08/04/12 08:51 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
On 08/04/12 05:49 AM, Paul Saunders wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 16:37:32 -0400
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

On 04/07/2012 04:29 PM, Tom H wrote:
On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Frank McCormick
<debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

[cut]

The distro runs fine but slow under KDE, but after I Installed
Icewm, I notice when I load an exterm, the prompt I get is "%" not
the usual one setup in .bashrc.

[cut]

Can someone explain what's going on ?

What;s your shell? tcsh?

    I **thought** it was DASH (the apparent default in Squeeze) so I
ran dpkg-reconfigure dash and picked Bash as the default. But maybe
it wasn't ?  How do I find out for sure ?

dpkg-reconfiguring dash will only update which shell is used to provide
the /bin/sh link. This may or may not be the shell that users get when
they open a terminal.

   Ah..that explains that !

To see what shell you're currently using, try running "chsh" (as
yourself). That will tell you what your current login shell is. To
change it, enter the full path to the executable, or to keep it, just
press enter.

   That worked...but I caused another problem.
I still didn't like Mepis, so I booted into Debian Sid and forgetting Grub had been last installed by Mepis, formatted the partition. Well you know what happened. Next time I booted I ended up at the Grub rescue prompt! No problem I thought, I'll just load up my SystemRescue CD and fix it. No way! I mounted sda2, and tried to ChRoot into it. I couldn't...I kept getting an error message "unable to run /bin/zsh" To make a very long story short, I tried several other live cd's but none were of any help, until I got to the Ubuntu LXDE live install. I picked the rescue mode, told it to install grub on /dev/sda2 and it did. An update Grub fixed the cfg file and we're back in business. I still don't understand why SystemRescue could not allow me to chroot ??

The moral of the story: keep several live cd's on hand, and think BEFORE you decide to wipe out a distro on another partition. Linux forces me to keep on learning.

--
Cheers
Frank