Re: terminal prompts

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 16:37:32 -0400
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On 04/07/2012 04:29 PM, Tom H wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Frank McCormick
> > <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

[cut]

> >> The distro runs fine but slow under KDE, but after I Installed
> >> Icewm, I notice when I load an exterm, the prompt I get is "%" not
> >> the usual one setup in .bashrc.

[cut]

> >> Can someone explain what's going on ?
> >
> > What;s your shell? tcsh?
> >
>    I **thought** it was DASH (the apparent default in Squeeze) so I
> ran dpkg-reconfigure dash and picked Bash as the default. But maybe
> it wasn't ?  How do I find out for sure ?

dpkg-reconfiguring dash will only update which shell is used to provide
the /bin/sh link. This may or may not be the shell that users get when
they open a terminal.

To see what shell you're currently using, try running "chsh" (as
yourself). That will tell you what your current login shell is. To
change it, enter the full path to the executable, or to keep it, just
press enter.

HTH

--
Paul Saunders