terminal prompts

I have run into a problem in Mepis but have been unable to get an answer yet from that community group. The distro is based on Debian Squeeze so I thought someone here night have the answer. Normally I run Debian Sid...Mepis is just an experiment

The distro runs fine but slow under KDE, but after I Installed Icewm, I notice when I load an exterm, the prompt I get is "%" not the usual one setup in .bashrc.

I have to actually run bash to get the normal prompt. It also affects the time it takes Midnight Commander to load, UNLESS I add the "-u" parm to the command line so it doesn't have shell facilities.

Can someone explain what's going on ?
--
Cheers
Frank