Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Vi, 30 mar 12, 16:40:18, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Perhaps you are thinking of an officially published requirement. What
> I mean 'requirement' is a condition which by trial is found to be
> necessary for it to work.  I tried cases that did not meet this
> condition and none of them worked, and conditions which did meet this
> condition did work. The test was simple.  I found a file of output
> from find on a large file structure and tried to sort in on inode
> number. I got an error message about insufficient file space without
> any attempt at a fix, then I tried several values for TMPDIR and
> several different entries in /etc/fstab. Some combinations
> successfully sorted the file. Some aborted with the same error message
> as the base trial.  The pattern was clear. There must be an entry in
> /etc/fstab and the entry must be usable to mount an existing partition
> on an existing disk in the plain-vanilla traditional way. Putting an
> entry in that would choke on mount -a, also did no good in letting
> sort run to completion.

Please post the exact commands you have tried and the error messages.
From the paragraph above it is not very clear to me what you did, but I
assure you TMPDIR works fine without an entry in fstab. Just make sure
the directory exists and you have sufficient space on that partition.

> OK. I don't know how to fix it, and am at a loss to find out how. Lines
> do get longer as they are quoted. I use emacs to write mail.

It's nothing critical, it's just that sometimes I like to split your
paragraphs to insert comments and vim's automatic re-wrapping is still a
bit unpredictable for me. Emacs probably has an e-mail "mode" and a
typical text width is 72.

As I'm not familiar with Emacs and this is buried deep in the tmpfs
thread, if you are interested to fine tune this you should probably
start a new thread.

Kind regards,
Andrei