Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 16:58:03, Paul E Condon wrote:

> > You could have also considered uncompressing the tarball somewhere else,
> > like $HOME/tmp or $HOME/src, but it sure is a valid solution, especially
>        ^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^
>
> On my computer that is running wheezy neither of these suggestions work,
> because, I think, these are not mount points supporting access to external
> physical disk hardware.

You must be misunderstanding me, I meant "some directory in your home",
because on most systems /home has enough space.

> I tested this suggestion this morning. I don't
> fully understand this, but I have been told that access to the original
> /tmp file requires an entry in /etc/fstab.

Err... your original /tmp is a directory on / not a file[1] and if you
don't mount anything there your system will happily use the available
space on / (the root partition).

[1] unless you had a dedicated partition, but AFAIK in such a case you
wouldn't get a tmpfs anyway

> Think about it. Who is supplying this extra hardware? Any specialized
> software that requires scratch files because the work is too large to
> fit in ram is dead in the water with this change, and changing the
> setting of RAMTMP does not fix the problem, or any of the work-arounds
> that have been suggested so far. I think this is a serious flaw in the
> current wheezy, a release critical flaw perhaps. My particular problem
> is a project in which I regularly need to sort files 2 to 3 GB in size
> on a computer with less than 1 GB of ram and 370 GB of rotating disk.
>
> But I am sure there are other problems  needing real, physical scratch
> space running very nicely on computers old enough to have once run
> woody. And now they are to be broken by something in wheezy software?
> Can this happen? Really?

Why do you think such scratch space should be in /tmp (regardless of
whether /tmp is on tmpfs, a separate partition or just a directory on
/)?

Kind regards,
Andrei
P.S. I accidentally did some re-wrapping, how long do you set your
lines?