Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Vi, 30 mar 12, 14:44:37, Paul E Condon wrote:

> No. You misunderstand me. There is a new extra requirement on TMPDIR, a
> restriction on ones choise of its value. A directory entry on a disk
> file system is not enough. It must be a directory entry that has a line
> in /etc/fstab that enables its use as a mount point to real separate
> partition. At least that is the way it is now. If this restriction were
> removed by some change in the implementation that I know not how to do...
> then your suggestion would likely work and the old way of using /tmp
> would also work.

I really have no idea what you are talking about, but there is no new
requirement on TMPDIR.

> In UNIX all directories are files ... special files that serve a
> special system defined function, but files in the sense that they are
> not inodes, or sectors, or blocks, etc. Linux follows UNIX on this
> innovation of long ago.

From this point of view, sure, but this is not what I was talking about.

> > Err... your original /tmp is a directory on / not a file[1] and if you
> > don't mount anything there your system will happily use the available
> > space on / (the root partition).
> >
> > [1] unless you had a dedicated partition, but AFAIK in such a case you
> > wouldn't get a tmpfs anyway
>
> I don't know why I get a tmpfs. I didn't ask for it. I have supposed
> it came with a new way of doing file handling in the system software,
> part of a new implementation that was supposed to be a work-alike
> replacement of the previous version.

/tmp on tmpfs has been optional before, it's just that the initscript
maintainers decided to make it default.

> I never had a dedicated partion for /tmp and now it is required. That,
> to me, is a change. I fixed it when I learned that it is now required,
> and I think it would be nice to go back to the old way because the old
> way did not require a separate partition. But I repeat myself. Enough.
> What happens will happen.

There is no *requirement* for /tmp to be a separate partition. I really
don't understand how you came to this conclusion.

> > P.S. I accidentally did some re-wrapping, how long do you set your
> > lines?
> The default in mutt, whatever that is. I like defaults. That is the
> main thing that originally attracted me to Debian. It offered defaults
> that worked.

Mutt uses an external editor for writing e-mails

,----[ man muttrc ]
| editor
|     Type: path
|     Default: “”
|
|     This variable specifies which editor is used by mutt. It defaults to the
|     value of the $VISUAL, or $EDITOR, environment  variable, or to the
|     string “/usr/bin/editor” if neither of those are set.
`----

Kind regards,
Andrei