Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Jo, 29 mar 12, 22:02:00, Paul E Condon wrote:

> > Why do you think such scratch space should be in /tmp (regardless of
> > whether /tmp is on tmpfs, a separate partition or just a directory on
> > /)?
>
> Why? Because the last time I looked which was long ago, using /tmp for
> scratch space was recommended practice in the FHS.

Sure, but it is not even required and there is absolutely no mention
about the size. A good behaving program should (as far as I understand)

- fail gracefully if there is not enough space in /tmp
- obey $TMPFS

This change is uncovering some programs and practices that made
unfounded assumptions about the size of /tmp and some don't even obey
$TMPFS so you have no way to easily assign them more temporary space.

You know the saying: "Assumption is the mother of all ..." :)

Kind regards,
Andrei