Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 01:29:32AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> On 28.03.2012 20:27, Dom wrote:
> > This change has caused me a number of (admittedly not too serious)
> > problems.
>
> To get a better feeling for what kind of problems users with
> tmpfs-on-tmp run into, I think filing bugs against the affected packages
> would be a great idea.
> Ideally, usertagged, so they can easily be found [1].
> Or file them against initscript/sysvinit and we re-assign them later
> accordingly.
>
> This way we can make a better decision if this particular change needs
> to be reverted, tweaked or can be kept.
>
> Roger,
> what do you think?

That sounds fine by me.  It would be particularly helpful to know
more about the specific machine and software in use rather than
"it doesn't work".  In particular:

- the size and free space on the root filesystem
- the amount of system memory
- the amount of swap
- which applications and/or shell commands you were using which caused
  you to run out of space.  The size of the files created would be
  useful to know.

While the existing defaults may be better, we do have the means to
configure it or disable it, and this could potentially be done in
the installer once we know more about the requirements.  If we can't
fix it nicely for wheezy, we can always change the default or
document how to disable it in the release notes.

Thanks,
Roger
--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh