Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:32:25 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 02:58:52PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> > However, the following points also need to be considered:
>> >
>> > - having /tmp on / means that / needs to be writable by default -
>> > having "limitless" space on /tmp means it can be abused by
>> >   both users and applications.  It can lead to breakage on systems
>> >   with a limited /tmp if applications make the (incorrect) assumption
>> >   that they can store whatever they like there.  It's more sensible
>> >   to provide a minimum guarantee.
>> > - /var/tmp exists, and should be used in many of the cases where
>> >   /tmp is being filled.
>> >
>> > It's hard to get a clear picture of what generally useful defaults
>> > should be when you only get feedback from a handful of users.
>>
>> IMO, the rule of thumb for applying a new default is asking ourselves
>> if the new default will cause any problem to the users. If yes, then
>> don't touch the old default and keep it the way it was. If we are not
>> going to get any improvement but just for the 10% of our user-base,
>> then we are failing the 90% of the rest.
>
> I can understand that running out of space is annoying and frustrating.
> That's not the intent of the changes by any means.

(...)

I already shared my thoughts on why I think this is a *bad* default as it
is now, so I'm not going to keep telling the same all over again. I only
hope at the time Wheezy is released:

- The installer (at least in the "expert" flavour) allows the user to
enable/disable this and/or set a default sane value for the "tmpfs" size,
being automatically or manually set.

- The upgrade routine asks the user for this change so this is not being
applied silently but consciously.

- This new setting is documented in the Installation Guide so people can
be at least aware of this option, how can be configured, how can be
turned off, and some user-case examples so they can make their own
estimatations based on their system configuration and needs.

- A simple tweak for modifying this option once the system has been
installed (this is already done) and how it could be applied on the fly
without rebooting a running system.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón