Re: apt-get will upgrade aptitude will not

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 04:54:39PM +0100, Jochen Spieker wrote:

> Sometimes aptitude's TUI is really useful. Like yesterday, when I
> down-pinned debian-multimedia.org and wanted to replace all packages
> from there with their official Debian counterparts (if possible).

Mmmm, interesting. I've just removed debian-multimedia.org  from my
sources list completely. I'm now running completely packages from the
main Debian repository. Admittedly that is just mplayer2 and ffmpeg.

root@tal:~# apt-cache policy libavformat-extra-53
libavformat-extra-53:
  Installed: 4:0.8.0.1+b1
  Candidate: 4:0.8.0.1+b1
  Version table:
 *** 4:0.8.0.1+b1 0
        500 http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

root@tal:~# apt-cache policy libavformat53
libavformat53:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4:0.8-2
  Version table:
  4:0.8-2 0
     500 http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages

Admittedly, you probably still need libdvdcss2 etc.

See:
http://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte