Re: apt-get will upgrade aptitude will not

Chris Bannister:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 04:54:39PM +0100, Jochen Spieker wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes aptitude's TUI is really useful. Like yesterday, when I
>> down-pinned debian-multimedia.org and wanted to replace all packages
>> from there with their official Debian counterparts (if possible).
>
> Mmmm, interesting. I've just removed debian-multimedia.org  from my
> sources list completely.

That was an intermediate step I took. That way, I could just look at
aptitude's list of "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages" in order to
identify d-m.org packages. And during that process I got rid of several
hundred MB of other obsolete packages as well.

> I'm now running completely packages from the
> main Debian repository. Admittedly that is just mplayer2 and ffmpeg.

I reaklly like handbrake-cli, that's why I had to keep d-m.org in the
end. BTW, if anyone is interested in an appropriate pinning section
(took me a few tries):

/etc/apt/preferences.d/00multimedia:

Package: *
Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
Pin-Priority: 1

And BTW2: For stable, ffmpeg from backports is currently *newer* than
ffmpeg from d-m.org:

# apt-cache policy ffmpeg
ffmpeg:
  Installed: 4:0.8-2~bpo60+1
  Candidate: 4:0.8-2~bpo60+1
  Version table:
     5:0.7.11-0.1 0
          1 http://ftp.uni-kl.de/debian-multimedia/ squeeze/main amd64 Packages
 *** 4:0.8-2~bpo60+1 0
        100 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4:0.7.2-1~bpo60+1 0
        100 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports/main amd64 Packages
     4:0.5.6-3 0
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages

It's just the epoch that makes Marillat's version look more current.

J.
--
I am on the payroll of a company to whom I owe my undying gratitude.
[Agree]   [Disagree]