Re: apt-get will upgrade aptitude will not

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:08:29 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:45:51PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:10:07 +0100, Jochen Spieker wrote:
>>
>> > Camaleón:
>>
>> (...)

>> > apt-get and aptitude both use the same package database. Running the
>> > 'udpate' for both of them is not required.
>>
>> I just run "apt-get upgrade" and said there was nothing to do while
>> running "aptitude upgrade" wanted to do very (I mean *very*) weird
>> things, such as removing a bunch of packages. After updating aptitude
>> database all went smooth...
>
> And you had already done an "apt-get update" before this happened?

Nope. Neither did it for "aptitude".

> Remember, Aptitude's "resolver system" is different to apt-get's

That's why I prefer to refresh both "separately". apt-get was happy with
the current db state while aptitude wasn't.

> P.S. I don't use aptitude but use apt-get whereas Jochen AFAIR use
> aptitude.

I neither use aptitude unless something goes wrong. Aptitude seems very
powerful an capable but for me, it provides too many options that I
barely use or pay attention to.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón