Re: [OT] Using dvorak

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 8. Februar 2012 schrieb Sylvain:
>> On 08. 02. 12 09:41, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> […]
>> > How does it work when you have to use a qwert(zy) keymapping
>> > sometimes? Would that still work out nicely enough?
>>
>> I've been typing in dvorak (actually bépo, which is a french dvorak
>> layout) for about a year and a half now, and I'm still able to type in
>> qwertz as fast as before. I'm using bépo at work (I work as a
>> programmer) and qwertz at home. The only drawback I've experienced with
>> this is the mess it creates in my head, especially because I'm a vim
>> user.
>>
>> > I wondered about dvorak for a long time but never took the faith to
>> > actually really try it out for me. Especially cause of the fear not
>> > to be able to use standard mappings anymore should they be all I
>> > have when working at a customer´s machine or so.
>>
>> I don't think you can lose it that easily. I experienced it some time
>> ago when I stopped using qwertz for about a month, but it took me only
>> a couple of minutes to get back to qwertz at full speed.
>
> Thanks, Sylvain for sharing your experiences.
>
> Thats helpful for me.
>
> I think I will just give it a try.
>
> It might be wise to start on a day where I have lots of time to type
> slowly in the beginning, I bet. What do you think? Did you start on a
> usually work day or did you start it in your free time?

I started last weekend, now can type pretty well even still slow.

It's easy to remember the layout, I started with type my name, it's 8
characters, then it's the password or someone's name you care,
and then is ls and cd. and then is some websites you used to go, now I
guess you touched nearly all characters. for "echo" and "the" I typed
more than 10 times at first to be smooth.

Next comes to numbers, I remember where 0 is and use it to find the rest.

then comes to @$&%#, you can be familiar it slowly during you used it.

not recommend check printed layout often unless necessary, a mistake
typing at beginning can lead you to be familiar with another
character,

I am not a good learner, but I feel if you do with your real heart,
the rest just time.

Have a good time with dvorak,