Re: Netinstall cannot find wireless access points

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 08:27:19 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't know where these features use to be advertized, I follow
>> debian- news, debian-announce, debian planet and often read debian
>> developers blogs and this went completely unnoticed to me. I think this
>> is something most users are awaiting for and would be glad to try,
>> check and report over... unless they're unaware about the possibility
>> >:-)
> There probably isn't a "debian-testing-announce" because, AFAIK,
> "testing" was never meant to be a widely-used release.

Sure, but there is a "project" and "news" mailing list for that precisely
purpose: to allow users seeing what's going on inside the project and
Debian next steps or proposed directions.

Discussions about non-technical issues in the project
Discussion about non-technical topics related to the Debian Project.

Debian News, weekly and otherwise
General news about the distribution and the project.

The current events and news about Debian are summarized in the Debian
Weekly News, a newsletter regularly posted on this list.

For instance, it was recently published there that wheezy will get kernel
3.2, what's the current status of gnome3 in wheezy, etc... very useful

> The announcement of the availability of WPA in d-i'll probably be done
> when Wheezy's released,

Publishing a new feature at the Release Notes is too late for people can
test and debug that feature properly, don't you think? ;-(

> in the same way that there wasn't a "we're now
> defaulting to grub2 in testing" announcement when Squeeze was
> "testing"; I've just googled "grub2
> site:lists.debian.org/debian-announce" and "grub2
> site:lists.debian.org/debian-news").

I read about the GRUB2 transition from Debian Planet and I'm sure sure it
was aired in many other places, too.

> It'd be nice to have a generic "testing" announce-list but I suspect
> that the developers are busy enough as it is.

There is "testing" list but I'm afraid is mostly "package-centric":

Testing packages' upgrade announcements
Changes to the "testing" distribution are announced here. This includes
various bugfixes.