Re: Netinstall cannot find wireless access points

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 06:26:27 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/wpasupplicant-udeb
>>>
>>> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/i386/daily/build_netboot.log
>>>
>>> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/build_netboot.log
>>
>> That's not the kind of sources users tend to read (i.e., Debian wiki,
>> Debian News, debian-devel, debian-boot, Debian planet, Debian
>> blogs...).
>
> I dont' read these either. I just knew that there was a
> wpasupplicant-udeb (I'm not sure from where) and I pointed to its
> existence as a package as well as to the fact that it's being included
> in the installer.

That addition was new to me. At the time I installed wheezy it was not
available.

> In looking at the debian-boot archives, I've found two relevant bugs:

Ah, those bugs explain why I couldn't install wheezy using WPA: the code
was included in late July 2011. Afterwards, when I did another wheezy
installation I still thought nothing had changed in this regard so I
directly plugged the network cable.

I don't know where these features use to be advertized, I follow debian-
news, debian-announce, debian planet and often read debian developers
blogs and this went completely unnoticed to me. I think this is something
most users are awaiting for and would be glad to try, check and report
over... unless they're unaware about the possibility >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón