Re: Installing debian, dual boot on 1 TB disk?

On 02/07/2012 12:23 AM, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

On 06.02.2012 19:06, Arief M Utama wrote:
Hi Mika,

First, thank you for your reply,

On 02/07/2012 12:03 AM, Mika Suomalainen wrote: Hi,

I think that I had same problem some time ago. First I shrinked
Windows partition with gparted on Ubuntu* CD. When I tried to
create new partition for Debian, it said something like "You have
too many primary partitions. The maximum of primary partitions is
4. You can create multiple partitions by removing one partition and
creating a new 'extended partition'. I did this and I was able to
create partition for Debian and swap partition.

May I know what is the size of your disk?
465.76 GIB

My problem is I can't do anything at all to that "free" space,
there's nothing I could use to create any type of partition
there. Hmm, or there is :-) Maybe I could try fdisk and see how
it goes, I totally forgot about this.
I had that problem too. Every time when I tried, it gave that error
message which I said previously. I was able to create partitions from
that free space after I removed the recovery partition and made
extended partition on it's place. To that partition I have been able
to create more.

Yess, Mika, you are right.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :-)

All the best.
-arief

My partition table in gparted currently looks like this:
Partition	Filesystem	Table	(used, free and flags aren't probably
needed and I am too lazy to write them)
/dev/sda1	ntfs	SYSTEM
(This is probably that "Windows-helper" partition, I don't know).
/dev/sda2	ntfs
/dev/sda3	extended
  /dev/sda5	linux-swap
  /dev/sda6	ext4
unallocated	unallocated
/dev/sda4	fat32		HP_TOOLS
unallocated unallocated

Thanks for the pointer!

All the best. -arief

(*I'm not familiar with text mode install partitioning which
Debian uses so I used gparted in Ubuntu CD to make sure that I
won't accidentally remove Windows partition.)