Re: Installing debian, dual boot on 1 TB disk?

On 02/07/2012 12:09 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:
On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 11:36:15PM +0700, Arief M Utama wrote:
Hi all,

I thought I'm already a veteran user until I discovered I know
almost nothing about this problem today  :-D

Got a problem here, I have a laptop with  pre-installed windows, the
partition scheme is more-or-less like this:

- 100M partition (hidden) - seems like a Windows-helper partition (I
read something about it, forgotten now)
- ~960 GB Windows partition
- ~20GB Recovery partion
-  ~10M another part of recovery partition

When I tried to install debian,
What I did was shrinking the 960GB partition to ~900GB, then I
thought I could have ~60GB for linux.

But then it said the free space is unusable, I cant do any
partitioning on it.

Anyone familiar with this problem? Is this something to do about the
partition table can't handle large disk size issue?
I notice you have four partitions. Are they all primary partitions? If
so, this is your problem.

Yess... you (and Mika) are right!

Thanks guys,
Been a while since I've met this problem.

Now I have another problem, how to move all this partition (and turn some of them into extended partitions) without destroying them. Guess I'll need to rediscover dd.

Anyone knows a better tool? Could GParted be used for this?

Thanks a bunch for the quick help :-)

All the best.
-arief

The DOS-style partition layout can handle up to four primary partitions
or up to three primary partitions plus one Extended partition. An
Extended partition may contain any number of logical partitions.

If you look at /dev/sda? from within linux and you get /dev/sda1-4, then
these are all primary partitions. If you have /dev/sda5 or above, then
you have an extended partition and so shouldn't have a problem with
this.

If all your partitions ARE primary, you may have a problem. AFAIK,
Windows likes to boot from primary partitions. The recovery partitions
MAY or MAY NOT handle being moved to logical partitions.

Any help and pointers are appreciated.

Please CC me on your replies as I am not subscribed to debian-user
currently.