Re: Installing debian, dual boot on 1 TB disk?

On 06.02.2012 19:06, Arief M Utama wrote:
> Hi Mika,
> First, thank you for your reply,
> On 02/07/2012 12:03 AM, Mika Suomalainen wrote: Hi,
> I think that I had same problem some time ago. First I shrinked
> Windows partition with gparted on Ubuntu* CD. When I tried to
> create new partition for Debian, it said something like "You have
> too many primary partitions. The maximum of primary partitions is
> 4. You can create multiple partitions by removing one partition and
> creating a new 'extended partition'. I did this and I was able to
> create partition for Debian and swap partition.
>> May I know what is the size of your disk?

465.76 GIB

>> My problem is I can't do anything at all to that "free" space,
>> there's nothing I could use to create any type of partition
>> there. Hmm, or there is :-) Maybe I could try fdisk and see how
>> it goes, I totally forgot about this.

I had that problem too. Every time when I tried, it gave that error
message which I said previously. I was able to create partitions from
that free space after I removed the recovery partition and made
extended partition on it's place. To that partition I have been able
to create more.

My partition table in gparted currently looks like this:
Partition	Filesystem	Table	(used, free and flags aren't probably
needed and I am too lazy to write them)
/dev/sda1	ntfs	SYSTEM
(This is probably that "Windows-helper" partition, I don't know).
/dev/sda2	ntfs
/dev/sda3	extended
 /dev/sda5	linux-swap
 /dev/sda6	ext4
unallocated	unallocated
/dev/sda4	fat32		HP_TOOLS
unallocated unallocated

>> Thanks for the pointer!
>> All the best. -arief
> (*I'm not familiar with text mode install partitioning which
> Debian uses so I used gparted in Ubuntu CD to make sure that I
> won't accidentally remove Windows partition.)
> -- Mika Suomalainen

- --
Mika Suomalainen
> gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 03D41B0D C0151D5C
> gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8751C396
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)