Re: My network speed is only 10MB

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:39:39 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 2/4/2012 12:25 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>>> STP can make things worse as almost nobody knows how to terminate
>>> shields in such a way as to avoid ground loops.
>>
>> That's no longer true :-)
>>
>> And here it is a good article explaining the shielding advantadges:
>>
>> ***
>> Why shielded twisted-pair matters for 10GBase-T
>> http://www.cablinginstall.com/index/display/article-display/279393/articles/cabling-installation-maintenance/volume-14/issue-12/features/design/why-shielded-twisted-pair-matters-for-10gbase-t.html
>> ***
>
> It's interesting to see them making a case for 10GbE over copper,
> shielded or not, given that so few switches offer 10GbE RJ45 ports. I've
> found exactly one, at $20K USD:
> http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/summit-x650.aspx
>
> Everything else uses SPF ports for 10GbE.

I wonder if that really matters because most of these devices are
modular. Anyway, there are more 10GBT switches out there:

***
SMC8724-10BT TigerSwitch™ 10G
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=8&scid=107&pid=1646

New 8-Port 10GBASE-T Line Card for Cisco Catalyst 4900M Switch
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6021/product_bulletin_c25-575166.html

Industry's Highest Density Auto-Negotiating 10GBASE-T Switches
http://www.aristanetworks.com/en/products/7100t
***

And I suppose the rest of the big companies (like HP) also have a set of
these devices in their portfolio.

> Camaleón, you'll be hard pressed to win this debate of shielded vs
> unshielded TP cable.  Why not simply say you're happy with it and it
> works for you.  Because the bulk of the Western world used UTP
> exclusively.  And number don't lie.  We invented both types here in the
> US.  And we only use UTP.  If not UTP, we use fiber.  That should be
> informative, instructive.

I wonder why any of my assertions can make you feel angry. They're just
facts, not opinions... it's okay that UTP is the preferred method for
USAnians, it is also the selected option for many companies in another
countries but negating the advantadges of shielded LAN cables leads you
nowhere.

> Nobody has said you are wrong in any way for using STP, F/UTP.  We
> simply said it's unnecessary if the cable plant is installed correctly.
>  You already stated that cable installers there are less than properly
> skilled.

No, I did not say that. And I'll repeat: UTP cables can be installed by
anyone, skilled or not, that's the problem.

> I don't understand why you're being so defensive about this shielded
> cable thing.

Not defensive, just rebating your arguments on why should someone prefer
the shielded cables.

> I've never seen you act this way in a thread. I'm left assuming that
> you personally selected S/F/UTP and did the install yourself, thus the
> defensive stance.

Of course I personally assumed that decision, I already said so. I would
have gone crazy using UTP cabling here. It simply does not match for this
kind of installation, I would have had to break the norms and the install
couldn't have been certified. I guess is not that hard to understand.

> If that's the case, simply say so, and we can move on.

It's okay, Stan. I don't know why most of the replies in this list end
this way with you.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón