Re: My network speed is only 10MB

On 2/2/2012 8:11 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 18:43:39 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

>> Nobody uses shielded twisted pair cabling these days, not for quite some
>> time.  There is almost zero benefit.  And if not installed (grounded)
>> correctly the performance can be horrible, and/or links may not work at
>> all.
>
> He, we have used STP even for cabling the PBX (cat5.e) ;-)

Using CAT5 for things other than ethernet (phone, serial industrial
control comms, etc) has been popular in the US for some time as well.
We simply don't use the shielded variety.

> In Europe is quite common (and also the SSTP variant) but on large
> companies (small businesses still use cat5 UTP and 10/100 devices). In
> fact, all of our patch panels use STP cabling and also the pigtails for
> conneting the computers to the swicth are also shielded. Yes, they are
> hard to work with but provide a much better resistance from external
> interferences and this was mainly the reason for us using it: gigabit
> cables share the same pipe with power lines, cctv camera cables (rg-59)
> and fire alarm system.

When you say "pipe" do you mean conduit?  Running network data cable and
power cable in the same conduit is a National Electrical Code violation
in the US.  Data cables must be in their own conduit, whether copper or
finer optic, though the reasons are different in each case.

The fact that your electrical code allows you to run power and data
cables in the same conduit explains your preference for shielded cable.
 And now maybe you understand why nobody in the US has used STP for a
couple of decades.

--
Stan