Re: My network speed is only 10MB

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 18:43:39 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 2/1/2012 9:52 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> One of our company networks was installed from scratch on later 2005
>> and I made it Gigabit (STP Cat.6) but should I have now to do it again
>> I would consider in adding 10 Gigabit capabilities, at least for the
>> cabling (devices are still overpriced): it costs just a bit more than
>> gigabit (it's affordable) and you can still use your old gigabit
>> devices (network cards, switches, routers...) but you're ready for the
>> next level.
>
> Nobody uses shielded twisted pair cabling these days, not for quite some
> time.  There is almost zero benefit.  And if not installed (grounded)
> correctly the performance can be horrible, and/or links may not work at
> all.

He, we have used STP even for cabling the PBX (cat5.e) ;-)

> You could have saved quite a bit of $$ going with UTP, not just in cable
> cost but installation cost as well.  STP is considerably more expensive
> to install due to the requirement of properly grounding the shielding at
> both ends, and the fact the cable is much harder to work with due to the
> increased stiffness.  I've not seen STP used in the States for more than
> 15 years.  Not for structural work anyway.  Maybe a patch cable here and
> there (which is actually unwise on many levels).

In Europe is quite common (and also the SSTP variant) but on large
companies (small businesses still use cat5 UTP and 10/100 devices). In
fact, all of our patch panels use STP cabling and also the pigtails for
conneting the computers to the swicth are also shielded. Yes, they are
hard to work with but provide a much better resistance from external
interferences and this was mainly the reason for us using it: gigabit
cables share the same pipe with power lines, cctv camera cables (rg-59)
and fire alarm system.

> For 10 GBASE-T you'd need Category 6a to cover the same link distance.
> The additional cost there is not minimal at unit level.  Cat 6a patch
> patch panels are about 3x the cost of Cat 5e, and Cat 6a UTP is about
> 3-4x the cost of Cat 5e.  However, once you figure in the labor cost,
> yes, the overall total for Cat 6a isn't all that much more for larger
> installs.  If you're talking about a SOHO the materials will usually
> cost more than the labor.

Agree.

Greetings,

--