Re: My network speed is only 10MB

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 02:48:23 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 1/31/2012 11:04 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 04:18:44 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>>> http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/fully-managed-switches/switch-modules/AX744.aspx
>>
>> Oh, I see...
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Gigabit_Ethernet#10GBASE-CX4
>>
>> Never heard about this before.
>
>> Dude, calm down... I did not realize it was a specific kind of 10
>> gigabit adapter for HPC computing requirements and more specifically a
>> module for connecting switches.
>
> The exclamation point was used to denote incredulity and frustration,
> not excitement. ;)

No problem. In the end it was _my fault_ for not reading carefully the
card specs. I made a bad assumption based on wrong information.

> 99% of 10 GbE deployment is switch stack interconnection, i.e.
> backbones.  It's used very little in HPC environments--Infiniband
> dominates there.  Very few servers today have 10 GbE connections.  When
> they do they're used for dedicated iSCSI SAN traffic, not user traffic.
>  Statistically zero desktops/workstations today are using 10 GbE
> connections.  If they do it's for a specialized dedicated application
> such as satellite data stream processing, etc.
>
> In short, you likely won't be seeing 10 GbE outside the datacenter or
> internet POP/hotel any time soon.  10 GbE can transfer 1.25 GB/s in both
> directions.  That's one quarter of a single layer DVD per second in each
> direction, 4 seconds to transfer the whole DVD.  Very very few
> individual servers are capable of such sustained throughput.  Thus, 10
> GbE is used almost exclusively as an aggregation pipe, or backbone.

One of our company networks was installed from scratch on later 2005 and
I made it Gigabit (STP Cat.6) but should I have now to do it again I
would consider in adding 10 Gigabit capabilities, at least for the
cabling (devices are still overpriced): it costs just a bit more than
gigabit (it's affordable) and you can still use your old gigabit devices
(network cards, switches, routers...) but you're ready for the next level.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón