Re: how to download the packages in Debian testing non-free before installing?

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jo, 19 ian 12, 01:20:18, lee wrote:
>>
>> Well, this laptop has two harddrives out of which I´ll make a
>> software RAID-1. Last time I checked, installing and booting from a
>> RAID was only possible by using LVM (and md), and the d/i of Testing
>> was able to do that pretty easily for me.
>
> No, you don't need LVM and even the grub in squeeze can boot from md
> devices.

Apparently it can´t boot from RAID on this laptop.  I have tried a lot
of different configurations, i. e. with LVM and without and with
different partition layouts.  Either grub couldn´t be installed or when
booting the system from the harddisk after the installation finished,
grub got stuck at the "Welcome to grub" message before showing the boot
menu.

Without RAID, it works, so I resorted to installing without RAID and
setting up a RAID-1 later.  So far, only /home is on RAID.

BTW, I couldn´t figure out how to create an encrypted partition with
the installer.  Every time when the installer tried to make one, it got
stuck in the process of creating it.  Is this feature buggy?

The wireless card turned out to be the smallest problem. It worked just
fine with the firmware on an USB stick.

Thanks for your help!