Re: how to download the packages in Debian testing non-free before installing?

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Lu, 23 ian 12, 15:55:04, lee wrote:
>> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:
>> > No, you don't need LVM and even the grub in squeeze can boot from md
>> > devices.
>>
>> Apparently it can´t boot from RAID on this laptop.  I have tried a lot
>> of different configurations, i. e. with LVM and without and with
>> different partition layouts.  Either grub couldn´t be installed or when
>> booting the system from the harddisk after the installation finished,
>> grub got stuck at the "Welcome to grub" message before showing the boot
>> menu.
>
> Other than "make sure you are using grub2" (package grub-pc) I can give
> you no advise. The only system with RAID I do maintain was installed via
> debootstrap, not D-I.

It seems to be grub2, since grub-pc v. 1.99-14 and grub2-common are
installed.

Perhaps it´s some problem with the hardware in this laptop that makes it
fail ... like the graphical installer cannot be used because the mouse
doesn´t work in it (Synaptics touchpad). I can´t seem to get the
discrete graphics card to produce any output on the screen, either,
though apparently I can switch between the cards just fine. I might have
to make another thread about that ...