Re: dhclient renewal

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 09:29:44 -0600, hvw59601 wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> Did you configure your "dhclient" to request a lease every 12 hours?
>>

> I set /etc/dhcp/dhcp.conf (on Jan. 08 09:20) to:
>
> lease {
>    interface "eth0";
>    fixed-address 192.168.1.190;
>    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>    option dhcp-lease-time 86400;
>    option routers 192.168.1.254;
>    option dhcp-message-type 5;
>    option dhcp-server-identifier 192.168.1.254;
>    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.254;
>    option dhcp-renewal-time 43200;
>    option domain-name "lan";
>    renew 6 2012/01/08 22:53:20;
>    rebind 6 2012/01/08 22:53:20;
>    expire 6 2012/01/08 22:53:20;
> }
>
> Makes no diff. whatsoever.

(...)

My bad.

It was not the "lease" stanza what you had to edit. I overlooked the
"dhclient.conf" file but "man dhclient.conf" confirmed the lease is used
when the client cannot connect to an existing DHCP server, which is not
your case :-)

And from man page I can't see an option which you can configure from the
client side to define a renewal interval... hum.

>> Yup, it's not normal. But it can be a bug in the router's firmware that
>> makes it to behave weirldy. To start discarding culprits, I would try
>> with another DHCP server, if you have another device than can be
>> configured in that way.
>>

> Where does one get another DHCP server?

I usually have several devices that can act as DHCP servers but well, if
you only have a router available you can install a DHCP server (or run a
LiveCD with DHCP server configured) in a separate computer... unless you
only have one computer in such case no DHCP server is needed at all :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón