Re: dhclient renewal

Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 17:25:42 -0600, hvw59601 wrote:

(...)

That's all commented out. Let me play with it. My feeling is that the
short lease times for both devices have to do with the external IP
changes.

And also the changes in leasetime occurred when the router changed, so
IMO it is hardware related :-)

Have no idea of how to get rid of the 57 sec. renewals.

Did you configure your "dhclient" to request a lease every 12 hours?

I set /etc/dhcp/dhcp.conf (on Jan. 08 09:20) to:

lease {
  interface "eth0";
  fixed-address 192.168.1.190;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  option dhcp-lease-time 86400;
  option routers 192.168.1.254;
  option dhcp-message-type 5;
  option dhcp-server-identifier 192.168.1.254;
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.254;
  option dhcp-renewal-time 43200;
  option domain-name "lan";
  renew 6 2012/01/08 22:53:20;
  rebind 6 2012/01/08 22:53:20;
  expire 6 2012/01/08 22:53:20;
}

Makes no diff. whatsoever.

Configured the TG585V8 with the only configurable item: "Always use the
same IP address" set to "yes" that sets "DHCP Lease Time:	Infinite":
http://debian-oaxaca.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-post.html

That options ("use the same IP") is not available for me. Have you tried to disable?

Default is disabled. Makes no diff. whatsoever.

Then I did a new install of the Wheezy netinst.iso of today (Jan.7,
2012). Did not install any software, did not change anything, just the
base installation. Result: lease renewal every 56 secs. Weird.

Yup, it's not normal. But it can be a bug in the router's firmware that makes it to behave weirldy. To start discarding culprits, I would try with another DHCP server, if you have another device than can be configured in that way.

Where does one get another DHCP server?

Hugo