Re: [OT] Re: casablanca

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:08:07 +0000, steef wrote:

> thanks for your response.
>
> look down here further
>
> Camaleón schreef:

(...)

>> The fact that your were able to reproduce the images but no sound it
>> could indicate the files are using an audio codec not installed in your
>> machine.
>
> well: the reality knows more nuances. the files i can reproduce do not
> produce environmental sounds. the files i cannot reproduce give one
> short image followed by coloured 'rubble' (is that the proper term ?)
> and some environmental sound. very funny indeed.

He... maybe they are separated video files and sound files. Question here
is how to "join" them again.

But let me ask you something, what was the workflow for the videos? Were
the cameras (input devices) directly connected to/processed by Casablanca
or your friend just copied the video files to the external device and
then wanted to import them into Casablanca?

In brief, what device generated the raw files, the cameras or Casablanca?

>> What's the output of "file" run over one of those raw files? Are they
>> video or just plain images? I ask this because sometimes, high-end
>> multimedia systems split video files in separate chuncks of video and
>> audio tracks for quick access and software manipulation.
>
> these video-files are spilt in separate files; on their turn split in
> separate chunks of about 7 or 8 GBs. mplayer opens them as raw files
> with the (ffmpeg) mpeg2 codes.

If the files were directly processed by Casablanca I wonder why your
friend cannot open the files from Bogart's software provided by the
manufacturer :-?

>> I would also ask to the company tech support guys, they will provide
>> more information about the raw format used by Casablanca, audio and
>> video codecs, etc...
>
> my brother did. the dutch importer was of good will; his representatives
> too but they could not provide any help. the german chaps said bluntly
> they could and would not provide any help. (they seem only to be happy
> to help their own money-bags with opensource software).

(...)

How bad... if I were your friend I would ask for the source code of that
system, Bogart, just to annoy them a bit >>:-)

There is a forum, you can also try there:

http://www.casablancaforum.us/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón