Re: dhclient renewal

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 17:25:42 -0600, hvw59601 wrote:

(...)

>>> That's all commented out. Let me play with it. My feeling is that the
>>> short lease times for both devices have to do with the external IP
>>> changes.
>>>

>> And also the changes in leasetime occurred when the router changed, so
>> IMO it is hardware related :-)
>>

> Have no idea of how to get rid of the 57 sec. renewals.

Did you configure your "dhclient" to request a lease every 12 hours?

> Configured the TG585V8 with the only configurable item: "Always use the
> same IP address" set to "yes" that sets "DHCP Lease Time:	Infinite":
> http://debian-oaxaca.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-post.html

That options ("use the same IP") is not available for me. Have you tried
to disable?

> Then I did a new install of the Wheezy netinst.iso of today (Jan.7,
> 2012). Did not install any software, did not change anything, just the
> base installation. Result: lease renewal every 56 secs. Weird.

Yup, it's not normal. But it can be a bug in the router's firmware that
makes it to behave weirldy. To start discarding culprits, I would try
with another DHCP server, if you have another device than can be
configured in that way.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón