Re: How can I get GNOME 2 back

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:04:24 +0000, Cam Hutchison wrote:

> I have tried GNOME 3. I have tried it with fallback mode. I've now tried
> xfce, kde and my own hacked together xsession with gnome components.
>
> I don't like any of it.
>
> What I like is the setup I had. I had GNOME 2 set up just the way I
> wanted it, and there was nothing wrong with it.
>
> Is there any way to get this back, while still using Debian? I've been
> using Debian (sid) a long time and I'm not changing distros.
>
> Are the debian patches for the last of the GNOME 2 releases still
> available? Can I build my own packages?

You are on a hiding to nothing. GNOME2 is dead. Yes, there is at least
one fork, but it/they are doomed. You could try to hang on to GNOME2 by
switching to another distribution - which anyway you say you don't want
to do - or reverting to Squeeze, but either is only a short term solution.

When GNOME3 arrived (early for me, in Fedora 15) I evaluated KDE and XFCE,
and neither was to my taste. Then I looked at LXDE and switched to it. It
suits me fine, and I use it as my DE in Squeeze too.

Camaleón recommends trying to assimilate GNOME3 and its shell, and
waiting for it to be improved, but that's not for me.