Re: How can I get GNOME 2 back

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:46:32 -0500, Stephen Allen wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 04:24:17PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:33:08 +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>> > Well until then maybe GNOME 3 has evolved into a more usable state.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> It is "usable" right now.
>>
>> Current version 3.0 (the one available in testing) is not as easy to
>> configure as it was GNOME 2.32 but when wheezy comes out (as the new
>> stable) it will include GNOME 3.2 or even 3.4 so things will have
>> improved a lot in comparison to the current state.
>>

> The only thing I dislike about Gnome3 is the Launcher. Other than that
> it's not too bad. One can see it's going to be good for touch screens
> and perhaps portable devices.

Yeah... There are many things I neither like of GNOME3+gnome-shell (and
this remains true for other aspects of GNOME2) but the fact we don't like
it does not reflect its "usability", is just our personal taste :-)

> It would be nice though if we could have a configuration option to use
> Gnome3 in the classic sense for those of us using desktops/laptops
> without touchscreens going forward. That just makes sense IMO.

I bet you can use a different menu launcher other than what gnome-shell
provides by means of additional addons or extensions.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón