Re: Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze

On 11/27/11 12:36, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 11/27/11 11:11, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:22:37 -0500 (EST), Marc Shapiro wrote:

Here are my /etc/apt/sources.list, /etc/fstab, /etc/lilo.conf listings.

The specifications for the root file
system in /etc/lilo.conf and in /etc/fstab do not match. In
/etc/lilo.conf, you have

root = "UUID=5e0d4da4-aba3-4965-8fb4-788501b0fe69"

In /etc/fstab you have

LABEL=hda2

The two specifications are not the same. They may be logically
equivalent; but without more information, there's no way for me
to tell.

Yes, they are logically the same, but I agree that they should match.
The line in /etc/fstab was a quick and dirty fix back when I upgraded
the kernel and udev under Lenny from backports and I just wanted
something that would not mess up when I rebooted to the new kernel. As I
said, I had not yet rerun lilo with the change to use the UUID for the
root specification. I have now changed /etc/fstab to use UUID, as well,
so that they match.

Also, I am going to rerun 'apt-get update' and see if the lines
mentioninf lenny in /var/lib/dpkg/status go away.

Let me know how that works out for you. I didn't see any obvious
problems in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Well, that didn't work, but I purged all of the packages with conffiles
(manually, as I did it before Andrei made his post -- BTW, I don't see
the -c option in the aptitude manpage) and that seems to have cleaned up
the mess. I have not had those warnings pop up since then.

Thanks for the confirmation on using append with the rootdelay command.
I think that it is time for me to rerun lilo and reboot the system. I'll
let you know how that goes once I get to it.

Thanks for all the help.

I reran lilo and rebooted, but the problems remained. I found that by changing the last column in /etc/fstab from '2' to '0' on the removable flash drives eliminated those errors. That only leaves one boot problem. That would be the problem of not being able to stat the swap partition, but the swap being active once the boot was finished. I copied down the message so there would be more information:

Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... resume: libgcrypt version 1.4.5
resume: Could not stat the resume device file '/dev/mapper/vg1-swap'
        Please type in the full path name to try again
        or press ENTER to boot the system

As I noted before, if I just press ENTER then the boot process continues and the swap is active once the system is fully booted. The above message occurs even if I change /etc/fstab to specipy the swap partition as /dev/vg1/swap (which is the way I had it under Lenny).