Re: How can I get GNOME 2 back

On 27/11/11 11:04, Cam Hutchison wrote:
I have tried GNOME 3. I have tried it with fallback mode. I've now tried
xfce, kde and my own hacked together xsession with gnome components.

I don't like any of it.

What I like is the setup I had. I had GNOME 2 set up just the way I
wanted it, and there was nothing wrong with it.

Is there any way to get this back, while still using Debian? I've been
using Debian (sid) a long time and I'm not changing distros.

Are the debian patches for the last of the GNOME 2 releases still
available? Can I build my own packages?

There seems to be a lot of this negative reaction to Gnome3 and this leads me to not want to upgrade my Debian stable (squeeze) at all. This is the same trip that the KDE developers went down as well, which spawned an official fork which retained the original KDE3.*

One can but hope that the GNOME developers will listen to their user base and offer an alternative or some kind developer will start a forked version of Gnome2 to retain the version that those who are reacting negatively to Gnome3 have come to know, love and trust.

Either that, or users will engage in a mass exodus to LXDE or Xfce4 which would be a real shame.

AG