How can I get GNOME 2 back

I have tried GNOME 3. I have tried it with fallback mode. I've now tried
xfce, kde and my own hacked together xsession with gnome components.

I don't like any of it.

What I like is the setup I had. I had GNOME 2 set up just the way I
wanted it, and there was nothing wrong with it.

Is there any way to get this back, while still using Debian? I've been
using Debian (sid) a long time and I'm not changing distros.

Are the debian patches for the last of the GNOME 2 releases still
available? Can I build my own packages?