Re: GNOME3 Ugh! Reverted to XFCE4

Victor Nitu:
> On 11/15/2011 08:42 AM, George wrote:
>
>> Might I suggest "awesome" window manager? It uses almost no resources,
>> can be manipulated entirely with the keyboard (although it also has
>> complete mouse support), can be customized extremely easily (although
>> the defaults are sane so it is by no means necessary to customize), it
>> even has a lua API.
>
> As far as I remember, this is a tiling WM,

Julien Danjou, the (initial?) lead developer and Debian maintainer tries
his best to avoid that impression. AFAIR, awesome's default
configuration was even changed to a non-tiling layout recently. But yes,
awesome supports tiling very well.

> I had a lot of fun (and frustration) in the past trying out many of
> them, and tiling window managers always seemed the most amazing simple
> pieces of software in the whole ecosystem. It's like running
> byobu+screen, but with X windows.

ACK. My primary machine is a laptop with a 12", 1280x800 screen. I only
use awesome's "max" layout. All programs are simply always maximized.
This makes "managing windows" a complete non-issue for me which is,
surprisingly, quite a relief.

OTOH, while awesome's config file provides for great flexibility, it is
a pain in the rear to set up initially.

J.
--
I no longer believe in father christmas but have no trouble
comprehending a nuclear apocalypse.