Re: GNOME3 Ugh! Reverted to XFCE4

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:08:44 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:41:46 -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > Perhaps others who dislike GNOME3 (does anyone not??)
>
> Hum... it's not GNOME3 but gnome-shell what you don't like.

I wouldn't know, my two-year-old Gigabyte MB is apparently too old for
Gnome 3. According to the Gnome site:

'It is our primary focus to build a modern operating environment,
platform, and user experience. It doesn't make sense to target the
hardware of the past.'

And there was me thinking that one of the greatest strengths of Linux
was the wide range of hardware it runs on.

> And nope, as soon as I can customize some of the basics of the shell
> I'm fine. At the end of the day what I have used are programs
> (thunderbird, LibreOffice, Firefox...) not a desktop environment. And
> what's a desktop environment, by the way? "Something" that
> allows/facilitates you to run your preferred applications :-)

And once you have the hang of it, that should be that. You shouldn't
have to relearn it unless you deliberately want to change it. Running
the applications you mention does *not* need a gaming graphics card,
and I have no plans to buy one. As long as all my monitor's pixels all
light up, a frame buffer is good enough for me.

> I can get used to the "new desktop paradigm" (or whatever they prefer
> to name it), because regardless what GNOME developers and we -plain
> users- say, we are still doing the same things in another way, I
> mean, there is nothing new nor revolutionary "per se" in the new
> shell.

And I'd rather go on doing the same things with the least possible
disruption. When I have my car serviced, I don't want it to come back
with all the controls in different places, just because someone thinks
it looks cool that way.

> Don't be afraid: the jump is not that long as it first seems.

This is a working machine: I don't have time to fix other peoples'
mistakes. I've gone for LXDE, which I've dabbled with before, and
which seemed the quickest way to get working again.

I'm sure Gnome will get along just fine without me, as I won't be
going back. I have no problem with new models of products, but dumping
your existing users doesn't seem to me to be the way to win friends and
influence people.

--
Joe