Re: Dead keys in Gnome3/Shell?

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:31:34 +0100, Olav Lavell wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:20:46 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote:
>

>> - For the non-visible indicator problem:
>>
>> Run this from a terminal (don't worry, it is harmless, you are only
>> requesting for a variable value):
>>
>> gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.indicator show-flags
>>
>> And put here the result.
>
> I already gathered that the command is harmless ;-)
>
> The result: "false"
>
> I even tried setting it to "true" and logging out and back in again.
> Doesn't change anything. No indicator ever appears.

It has to be set to "false". I hoped you had it to "true" but no luck ;-(

>> - For the layout issue:
>>
>> Try by ading a different layout (e.g., "International with dead keys
>> AltGr") and check if that works by pressing "AltGr+E" which should
>> return
>> an accented "é".
>
> Like I said in my previous message, nothing I do in the Layouts dialog
> tab seems to have any effect. I tried many different keyboard layouts
> (and combinations) already. The keyboard just behaves as if the "USA"
> layout (the natural layout of the physical keyboard) is always in
> effect, even when it is not even listed in the dialog.
>
> Anything else I can try?
>
> I am not a complete newbie but I feel like one in this case. I am not
> well versed in the gsettings "registry".

Try with the usual way by renaming (*rename*, do not delete) the GNOME
setting configuration folder but for the new gnome-shell I'm not sure
what to touch to make the magic... you can start with "~/.config/dconf"
and "~/.cache/dconf" first and see if that makes any difference as all
the gnome-shell settings seem to be stored at dconf :-?

> Thank you for your continued interest.

You're welcome :-)

Greetings,

--