Re: Dead keys in Gnome3/Shell?

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:40:10 +0100, Olav Lavell wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:42:56 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Sadly, in my case typing ' simply produces ' (single quote). In other
>>> words, it does not wait for the second keystroke.
>>
>> Does it work for a new user account?
>
> Thank you for that tip. I just tried. Yes, with a test user it does work
> as expected. Strange.

(...)

Ah! Hum... that's a good sign, I guess :-)

>>> Also, is there an alternative for the ugly but trusty keyboard
>>> switcher
>>> panel applet we used to have in old Gnome?
>>
>> As soon as you add a second keyboard layout, the keyboard switcher
>> should
>> be present at the top bar as it happened with the old applet.
>
> This works with my test user, not with my regular account. The keyboard
> switcher does not appear at all. No change I make in the Layout tab of
> Region and Languages seems to have any effect at all, not even "Reset to
> defaults". Now, I would rather not delete my current account and all its
> associated settings. Is there perhaps a specific file that I can edit or
> delete to *really* reset things to normal? Something in gconf/dconf?

- For the non-visible indicator problem:

Run this from a terminal (don't worry, it is harmless, you are only
requesting for a variable value):

gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.indicator show-flags

And put here the result.

- For the layout issue:

Try by ading a different layout (e.g., "International with dead keys
AltGr") and check if that works by pressing "AltGr+E" which should return
an accented "é".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón