Dead keys in Gnome3/Shell?

Hi list,

I decided not to resist futilely and to go along with the recent Gnome upgrade in Wheezy. So now I can't type anymore :(

Longer version: I depend on the "International (with dead keys)" keyboard layout, as configured in System Settings, Region and Languages. I chose the first of three layouts with the same name. However, my dead keys do not work like they did in Gnome 2.x. Has anyone else noticed this and come up with a solution?

For those who are unaware: dead keys mean that one can simply type ' followed by e to obtain é. Many other combinations exists. It is *not* the same as the Compose key used in some other configurations.

Sadly, in my case typing ' simply produces ' (single quote). In other words, it does not wait for the second keystroke.

I am usually using a Dutch localised environment, but it happens when I switch to English as well.

Also, is there an alternative for the ugly but trusty keyboard switcher panel applet we used to have in old Gnome?

Thank you.

--
Olav Lavell <olav@freeict.nl>