Re: Is there any issue with reportbug in unstabl or bugs.debian.org?

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:50:10 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> Darac Marjal wrote:
>> > While a web-based interface may be nice, I think that where debian's
>> > bug reporting excels is in the 'reportbug' program. It's not just a
>> > program that sends emails to a single address, but it provides a good
>> > guide through the bug-reporting process, namely encouraging you to
>> > check that the bug is not already raised, checking that the version
>> > of the package you're reporting against isn't out of date and also
>> > collecting useful information for the developers (changed
>> > configuration, usually).
>>
>> Did you recently fill a bug on a bugzilla-alike bug tracking system?
>>
>> It does not only allows what you mention but it enhances the reporter
>> experience by allowing a higher level of configuration and
>> customization on almost any aspect, not only for the UI (bugs alerts
>> are just great).
>>
>> > Some of that, a web based solution just can't do (as easily).
>>
>> Ha! Of course it can.
>
> (shock, surprise) You are saying that filling out a web form in a
> browser can run processes on the local host machine and send data to the
> internet?  No it can't or it would be a severe security vulnerability.
> Please list any browser that allows this so that I can file the
> appropriately severe security bugs against them.

With todays html5 specs out there and a capable browser? I wouldn't put
my hand on fire for that. And have you recently heard about GNOME and
javascript capabilities? They allow doing amazing things over a browser.

Besides, I'm sure you know that flash player plugin can contact you
webcam and audio devices very easily. But there is no bug nor security
flaws here, because the user agrees in being scanned ;-)

So, if that's something missing in Bugzilla (or another bug tracking
systems), it should be easily to add although I seriously doubt about its
usefulness.

But no, I was not referring to that specific ability of reportbug (which
I still find a bit intrusive) but the option for looking into another
bugs already opened for the same issue.

>> And bugzilla does not tend to crash when writing bug reports >:-)
>>
>> In fact, I usually avoid using "reportbug" because of its high
>> instability (it's annoying having to re-do a full report several
>> times...) and finally send the report "manually" -by e-mail- which is
>> not a task for newcomers neither encourages people to write bug reports
>> ;-(
>
> I have never ever seen reportbug crash.

You must be then a happy camper and the luckiest person in the hill.

> Since it is just a python script I would think that an actual crash
> would be quite difficult.

Err... that must be because you have never seen it explode in front of
your face :-)

> I am hoping you filed a bug report on reportbug crashing! :-)

I think no more. I'm tired.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón