Re: Install kde-desktop on existing debian install

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 11:00:22 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> How does your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file look like?
>>
>>   deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
>>   deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
>>
>>   deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
>>   deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
>
> So you are in testing. I hope you now what that means :-)
>
> I see you have omitted "contrib" and "non-free", is that intended?

No, I'm using what the install put there.  Should there be something more?

[...]

>> Only to find it is not installed.  This is very confusing.  It would
>> seem that installing kdm-full would at least install the display
>> manager.
>
> Errr, did you read the said instructions, right? ;-)

Do you mean the instructions at:
http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde4.html

Yes I did and quote them here:
"For all of KDE 4, install the kde-full package, which also includes"

(a long list follows)

[...]

> Okay, hope all goes well now :-)

Not at all, after install for the 3rd time now kdm login after reboot
is a gui login which drops into an X session where no work is
possible.  Already described in previous posts.