Re: Install kde-desktop on existing debian install

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 11:00:22 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

>> How does your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file look like?
>
>   deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
>   deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
>
>   deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
>   deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main

So you are in testing. I hope you now what that means :-)

I see you have omitted "contrib" and "non-free", is that intended?

(...)

>>> I am able to login to an X session.
>
>> Good.
>
> I should have explained further that the X session I am able to log into
> is by startx with .xinitrc aimed at fluxbox.

So you get no KDE login? :-?

(...)

> Only to find it is not installed.  This is very confusing.  It would
> seem that installing kdm-full would at least install the display
> manager.

Errr, did you read the said instructions, right? ;-)

***
Most users will also want to install kdm. There are still a couple of
packages more:

kdetoys 	Desktop amusements
kdesdk 	Software development tools

Translations packages are kde-l10n-XX where XX is your language code
***

It seems that you have to manually pull that package.

> Further it would seem the dpkg -L kdm would not list files if kdm were
> not installed.
>
> So I am now installing kdm
>
> I'm sure things will change with an actual display manager in tow. I'm
> rebooting now and see what happens.

Okay, hope all goes well now :-)

Greetings,

--