Re: Install kde-desktop on existing debian install

Reply to Camaleón from overlappingthread:
  Subject:  how to gather info for reporting problem

Camaleón wrote:
> I suppose you installed the right pattern for you current running Debian
> system, right? That is, kde-full for "squeeze" if you are running
> squeeze, kde-full for wheezy, if you are running wheezy, etc...

I see only 1 pkg when I run `aptitude search kde-full'
p   kde-full      - complete KDE Software Compilation [...]

And that is what I installed

>> I just get a black screen with a terminal emulator running, no menus are
>> available with mouse clicks or anywhere on the screen in terms of an
>> icon.  Just the terminal.  Any apps I open are slapped up into the top
>> left corner where the title bar becomes inaccessible.  If I open
>> anything else it covers the previous app, then I have two with the one
>> under inaccessible.  Can't even be raised back to top.
>
> You mean you were not able to login with your user account (no desktop at
> all, just the command line)?

Sorry, no there was a kdm login then a black screen with only a
terminal emulator running.  (Not a console screen but a black colored
screen in X)

> It is still unclear to me at what stage you find right now, so:
>
> 1/ If you are left into a tty and no GUI login is possible, try to launch
> "startx" and see what happens.

I am able to login to an X session.  In that session I see a black
screen, no icons, no panels.  Clicking mouse right.left, middle has no
effect.  No menus are forthcoming.

There is a black terminal emulator running on the black backdrop that
is plastered into the upper right corner.  It is too far up for the
title bar to accessed and so moved around.

When I start any other application it gets plastered into upper right
corner in the same way and covering pervious terminal.  Again the
title bar is out of reach.

> 2/ If you can login with your usual account but things are completely
> messed up, try to create a fresh new user and login with it.

OK, I'll try that and report back to this thread.

> I would also post into Debian KDE mailing list:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/

Thank you.  I will do that when this thread has exhausted leads.