Re: Install kde-desktop on existing debian install

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 09:51:13 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

>> I suppose you installed the right pattern for you current running
>> Debian system, right? That is, kde-full for "squeeze" if you are
>> running squeeze, kde-full for wheezy, if you are running wheezy, etc...
>
> I see only 1 pkg when I run `aptitude search kde-full' p   kde-full
> - complete KDE Software Compilation [...]
>
> And that is what I installed

Sadly, that tells no much.

How does your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file look like?

>> You mean you were not able to login with your user account (no desktop
>> at all, just the command line)?
>
> Sorry, no there was a kdm login then a black screen with only a terminal
> emulator running.  (Not a console screen but a black colored screen in
> X)

Have you restared the computer?

>> It is still unclear to me at what stage you find right now, so:
>>
>> 1/ If you are left into a tty and no GUI login is possible, try to
>> launch "startx" and see what happens.
>
> I am able to login to an X session.

(...)

Good.

>> 2/ If you can login with your usual account but things are completely
>> messed up, try to create a fresh new user and login with it.
>
> OK, I'll try that and report back to this thread.
>
>> I would also post into Debian KDE mailing list:
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/
>
> Thank you.  I will do that when this thread has exhausted leads.

You can post in both (separately, don't cross-post), they are differenet
mailing lists so there is no overlap, don't worry.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón