Re: Rolling my own

Dave Higgins wrote:
> My company is producing a value-added distribution.  The base system
> is Debian GPL.  We're adding a package that has our IP in it.  We'll
> host a repository that maintains the Debian packages and our
> packages.  While we could just do a "standard" distribution, we do
> want to change some defaults to send it out the door.

I think Debian will make a great operating system distribution for you
and will be very easy for you to use and set up.

I don't know the best practices for the branding of it.  I think it
would be good to be careful about how things are labeled so that this
isn't confused with a standard stock Debian installation disk.  People
are already confused thinking that Ubuntu and Mint are Debian for
examples and yet those are appropriately and clearly labeled otherwise.

Things to be careful of in terms of licensing are if your packages
extend a copyleft'd package then you would need to comply with the
terms of the copyleft in order to distribute it.  And of course you
are required to provide sources for any of the copyleft'd parts.  But
I will assume you are familiar with the licensing issues and have that
handled.

> I need a CD that has the a 3.0 kernel and other more recent versions
> of software then is in the official repository.
>
> Simple-CD and Debian Live Magic work great to create a minimal
> install iso, but how do I put the 3.0.4 kernel packages in place?

I believe when you create the iso image you can specify to include
specific packages.  To be honest I haven't done that step in recent
memory and so I have no suggestions for you.  Sorry.  I was hoping it
was going to be something simple like modifying the initrd or
something.  :-)  I have been working with netbooting a lot lately and
have mostly left physical media behind.

But as I recall when using Debian Live to create an image it is
possible to specify specific packages to be included.  I believe you
can specify additional repositories and as such can include backports
for example for a newer kernel.  Or other such options.  I think that
is the right place to start looking.  Here are some references.

  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/HowTo/Step-by-Step

  http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/customizing-package-installation.html#417

Perhaps someone else will have a better suggestion.

Bob