Re: sources.list directory specification

On Friday 02 September 2011 13:18:00 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Enabling those repositories on a constant basis means you have no idea
> what will come down if you go:-
> # apt-get update; apt-get upgrade (or dist-upgrade)

I have backports permanently enabled, but packages are only downloaded if I
explicitly ask for them (-t lenny-backports) and are only updated from the
backports repository if I have explicitly installed from there.  The
marvellous Debian sets the pinning appropriately automatically:

/etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=lenny-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

I update daily on my main machine, and full-upgrade if there are updates.  And
I have done this for some years, and on more than one computer, without a
problem.

Everything else gets updated from the Lenny repositories when I aptitude
full-upgrade (the equivalent of apt-get dist-upgrade), other than things that
came out of the multimedia, opera or google-chrome repositories.

Lisi